A Sunday Conversation with Meldrum

A little over a year ago and shortly after the recording of their new album, Lifer, guitarist and band namesake, Michelle Meldrum passed away due to a cystic growth on her brain. Where it would have been a hell of a lot easier for her surviving band mates to wallow around in self pity, they decided to walk a different path, to put the final touches on the disc and to soldier on in the memory of their fallen sister. Vocalist Michele Madden was kind enough to spare a few minutes between rehearsals and work outs to give us a glimpse of the passion and gut fire that drives this band. Be sure to catch them on the road as they devastate the West Coast this September.



How are things in the Meldrum camp? The band has a new album, Lifer, getting ready to hit the streets, tell us a bit about it.

Its all good in the Meldrum camp! I feel like a pitbull on short lead right now. Love being on tour and can’t wait to hit the road. The new album is a sonic clusterfuck and I couldn’t be happier.



With Michelle’s passing last year; there was a pretty significant outpouring of sentiment for what y’all were going through. How did that support help you cope with the loss of, not just a friend but a sister?

It was great to know that people were out there and it was sweet to hear from so many but on a personal level I shut down and am still dealing with it. Some days are better than others. It broke my heart.


Where do you look for continuing inspiration? New ideas, new motivation?

I don’t think that I will ever fully mellow out or run short on ideas and motivation when all I have to do is look outside my door and see the seething mass of bovine humanity that continues to turn all that it touches to shit. That motivates me to write and tour.



Talk to us about the song-writing process for you. What comes first, the idea? A riff? The lyrics? How does it all fall into place?

I write everyday. A lot. I take it to the engine room (Gene and Laura) and we make it happen.



What piece of your music are you particularly proud of?

All of Led Zepplin 3.....oh, sorry, MINE..well......I don’t think that pride really comes into it for me. I am just happy that I have left some solid tunes in my wake.



What are the plans for Meldrum after your upcoming tour? Do you carry on with Michelle’s name or do you call it quits?

I can’t see that we are gonna stop anytime soon.


Anyone who’s spent more than a couple of minutes in the music business has to have had a Spinal Tap moment or two. Share with us a couple of your great, Spinal Tap, rock and roll moments?


A 7 foot (tall) black metal dude waiting by my dressing room door with a Hello Kitty soft toy for me.



Vinyl, CD, or digital? What's your format of choice?

I am romantic on vinyl, practical on CD and thanking Elvis in all of his infinite glory for digital when I am training my ass off.



Any parting words for our readers?

Get off your asses and support your local and touring acts. They are bringing it and the least you can do is turn up and rock out.The sofa and playstation are never gonna beat a good mosh. See ya on the road!

Comments