Deftones - Around The Fur

 Around The Fur [Explicit]

Well folks it's been a while since I last had a chance to do any sort of write ups for The Ripple. While I have been listening to countless amounts of music I have had little time to do a proper write up. This past holiday season has been a handful.

Recently, we at The Ripple Effect were asked to write up about the first album we bought with our own money. I remember it like it was only yesterday. I was flipping through a music magazine, probably Circus or some shit and came across an advertisement for Music Choice. Music Choice was a cd by mail service offered in the 90's. You get 12 cds for a penny...a fucking penny!!! While I don't remember what 12 cds i got for my rusty old penny, I do remember one of them being Deftones - Around The Fur. An absolutely amazing album that would go on to shape my musical tastes for years to come.

This album gave me my first taste of of the vocal styling of one Chino Moreno. Who I would go on to idolize later in life...minus the whole drug abuse situation. My favorite song on that album and still one of my favorite Deftones songs was "Be Quite And Drive (Far Away). This song had it all: amazing lyrics, music and Chino's half crooning half screamed vocals and just plain amazing music.

"This town don't feel mine
I'm fast to get away - FAR
I dressed you in her clothes
Now drive me far - away, away, away
FAR - away
I don't care
FAR - away
And I don't care where just FAR - away, away, away"

Other amazing tracks on this album were "Headup" which featured Max Cavelera of Sepultura and Soulfly fame. As well as the title track "Around The Fur" and "MX". In honesty, who am I kidding? This album is great from beginning to end. If you have never heard the album, pick it up.

-Cicatriz

Deftones goes good with: The Smiths, Depeche Mode, Soulfly, Sepultura, Norma Jean, Crosses, Team Sleep, The Chariot, Pulse Ultra, System Of A Down

Comments